Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Snore of Shock Value

This is a May 2009 post from my Communications blog. Which can be found here...
Later this month a new movie is opening that has already caused quite a stir because of its content. The movie features a young female actress, Chloe Moretz, swearing. A lot. And using words that make adults cringe.

It’s not the first time filmmakers have put adult language into the mouths of kids to shock and amuse. Remember the very potty mouthed, Bobb’e J. Thompson in the very funny and crude, “Role Models?” How about the surprise moviegoers felt in 1977 when then 10-year-old Quinn Cummings called Richard Dreyffus an “asshole” in “The Goodbye Girl?” Or for me, the granddaddy of all potty mouthed kids, Chris Barnes as Tanner Boyle in “The Bad News Bears.” (Yes, the original, 1976 version. Another entry on horrendous remakes of classic films is brewing.)

The profanity in this new film has generated a fair amount of publicity – outcry over the foul mouthed little girl. There have been calls for censorship and new standards for child actors. Personally, I think it’s all nonsense. I don’t believe in censorship. Not exactly, anyway. I have a totally different problem with this film – a film I’ll go see, by the way. My problem is the actual name of the film, not the content.

If you haven’t figured it out by now, the film is “Kick Ass.”
I remember seeing a preview for the film months ago and laughing that the main character’s super hero name was Kick Ass. But my amusement shifted to bemusement that the filmmakers would give the film the same name. I remember thinking, “well, there goes network TV advertising, on ABC at least. And no DVD sales in Wal-Mart.”

I know the film is based on a popular Marvel comic of the same name, but so what? They could have given the film another name. Someone like me, who doesn’t know of the comic may not have known the film was based on a comic book, but Fanboys and Fangirls would certainly know. And don’t think the filmmakers kept the name to keep the fan base happy. We all know they will complain no matter what. It’s what they do. Fanboy = Hater.

So now we’ll be inundated with the word “ass.” On posters, on TV, and movie marquees. And that’s how standards start slipping. The more kids see it and hear it, from parents and on the news and in the newspaper, the more acceptable the word becomes. We become desensitized to it. It proliferates. And then we climb one more rung down the ladder to the next word that used to be bad but someone is determined to make tolerable. Now, is this word so bad? Well, no, I guess “ass” is not so bad. It is, however, not a word I would use if I could help it with my kids, or a clergy member, or the President of the United States, or in a client presentation. Do I use it other times? Of course. And exponentially worse words. And I know I’ve slipped and used that word and worse in front of my kids. But I strive not to. There’s a time and a place for everything. And as the lines begin blurring we all lose out.

Watch a week of prime time TV and count the number of times unimaginative writers use the word “douchebag” in sit-coms. They frequently have characters say it even when it’s way out of character. Why? Because they can. Because somebody tested the waters in 2009 and the FCC didn’t get letters and didn’t fine anybody. And suddenly it became cool to use the word as much as possible, even if it didn’t fit the situation or character because writers could shock with the word without getting in trouble. But just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should. I can eat an entire large cheese pizza. But it’s not a good idea.

I find it hard to believe I’m arguing against swearing – and those who know me and have heard my colorful vocabulary may be tempted to call me a hypocrite. It’s not that I’m against people using whatever language they want. I just wish we were more careful as a society with how flippantly we thumb our nose at tradition. Recently a friend remarked that there was a time when people dressed up in a shirt and tie to get on an airplane. Now you’re lucky if your seatmate has closed shoes and unexposed underarms.

Is a movie called “Kick Ass” the end of society? No. Is it a brick on the road to the end of society? Probably. Do I consider myself a fuddy-duddy? Not at all. But will I continue to wince when the bounds of polite society are pushed? You bet your…bottom dollar…I will.

No comments: